Wednesday, September 30, 2009

guess who came to the NIH today?

President Obama came to visit the NIH today! How cool is that? There were secret service everywhere and snipers on the roof! Parking was a real pain coming into work, but it ended up being worth it! I knew that I was excited to work there, but now I am even more excited! The President gave a speech and toured some of the facility- then he flew to Denmark. The secretary of the Health and Human Services... the big boss of healthcare was also there to visit. She even came in to visit one of the patients on my floor! We thought that maybe the president would come too, but he didn't. Believe you me, I had myself strategically placed just in case! It was really exciting. The Secretary came up to the floor with about 20 secret service agents, and it was really cool for the patient. Today really got me thinking about the setting in which I work. Most of the funding for scientific research in the US comes from the NIH, and many of the smartest researchers in the country are here. I mean the guy that discovered HIV works for one of the Institutes! The studies funded by the NIH set the pace for scientific discovery in this country for years to come. Cool huh? I am proud to work there.
Not as high profile- but still worth mentioning, I have actually run into a few people from my past travels at the NIH. There is a nurse that works the day shift here that I actually worked with in Seattle. She is really fun so I am glad to meet up with her again. Also, I ended up running into an intern that I worked with in San Diego, We were both on our way to an orientation class. So, that was pretty cool, and now I have found myself a doctor friend. He is working on a research project at the NIH. So, I am happy that I will have friends to hang out with...now I can avoid becoming the cat lady of Silver Spring, MD!
jk, love you Baxter

No comments: