Friday, July 3, 2009

our friends have arrived



The first of our guests- David- arrived earlier this morning. He drove all night to get here and hang out with us for the 4th of July. Early in the afternoon, we all went to pick Emilie and Andy up at the airport in Baltimore. We showed them a bit of Baltimore and ate downtown near the water at ESPN Zone for lunch. It was pretty good- but I was saving my appetite for what I had planned for dinner.
We did not really do too much today. We pretty much just hung out and were rested up for our big day in DC tomorrow. I thought that since Emilie and Andy had flown all the way here for just the weekend- I figured they might want an action packed day. When I asked Kraig for some ideas of things to do with them- he suggested taking them to the Waldorf mall. I said.. they are not going to want to fly all the way here just to go to the mall. Once again, I was wrong- one of the first things Andy asked me was, hey do you guys have an Old Navy?" So away to the Waldorf mall we went. He had hoped to cash in on the swim trunk sale that was going on. Unfortunately, there were only 2 left in the whole store. So, we walked around the mall and people watched. Waldorf is a very interesting place for that.
We ended up going back to the apartment so I could nap. I had not been to sleep for about 24 hours at this point, since I worked the night before. Trust me.. it is a lot harder than it used to be.
Our bigs plans for the night were going to Newburg, MD for dinner at Captain Billy's Crab House. What a great name, huh? That is why I picked it. I am always looking to find the local treasures while we are on traveling assignments- so to Captain Billy's we went. I figured that if people were coming to visit us- that a crab shack would be the perfect Maryland experience. I also know that David and Kraig really enjoy seafood! Anyways, it actually ended up being a really cool place. It was a restaurant that sat on stilts on the shore of the Potomac River. The restaurant actually sat over the water! I loved it. It was a really neat place- from the famous crab cakes to the neon crab sign outside. We had a really fun dinner together. I even tried a "crab ball."" It was a round crab cake and was actually really tasty! We actually stayed in the restaurant for about 2 hours watching Kraig eat his 3 pounds of crab legs and pound of shrimp. Emilie and I did get to use the crab mallet to help whack some crab legs.
So far, it has been pretty fun having everyone here. Having 5 people in our one bedroom apartment is nice and cozy!

No comments: