Saturday, March 14, 2009

Loggerhead Marinelife Center

I have volunteered at the sea turtle rehab hospital for the past two Thursdays now. Last Thursday was my first day. Everyone else called in sick that day, so on my first day- I had to hold the fort down by myself! It definitely helped me to get my feet wet quickly! This week there were more people volunteering. I work as a docent, so I spend my volunteering time by answering questions about sea turtles and guiding people around the pools where the sea turtles are kept. I have so much fun doing it! I really do. I love answering questions and teaching people things they may not have known before. Some people are really interested in helping the turtles, and I really like talking to them. I also try and slip in little tidbits about ocean conservation!

In case you didn't know:

Sea turtles cannot pull their heads or limbs into their shell. Their shells are so streamlined and well-adapted for fast swimming that they can't fit them in!

Sea turtles can swim about 20mph, dolphins can swim 30mph, and the fastest person can run a mile at 16mph.

Sea turtles live 80-100 years and can hold their breaths for at least an hour.

Turtles do not have teeth, they have specialized beaks adapted for the types of food which they eat. Each species of sea turtle prefers a certain type of food, allowing them to coexist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi its me you long last better 1/2 i just wanted to tell how warm it is up here before it cold again ..to day its 63 degrees thats warm . last week it was a cold walk in to work. I have to walk like 800 yards just to git in the gate, I will say it again if you didn't hare me the first time " It was cold"!!! miss you talk to you later kraig