So- two Sundays ago now, David, Kraig, and I tried the trip to Mexico again. This time, we were able to park in the US and walk over to Mexico, as we had planned to do the day before. Guess what? It is just as easy to walk into Mexico as it was to drive there. No metal detectors, no police, nothing. We stopped for a photo-op at the border between the US and Mexico, exchanged some of our money for pesos and were on our way.
We crossed Rio Tijuana... which is a river, kind of- it is kind of like a storm drain that goes out to the Pacific Ocean and it looks pretty dirty too. Once we crossed into Mexico- it got cold and started raining... I kept saying, It doesnt rain in America... lets go back and feel the sweet warmth of freedom. Ha! I was just kidding. Tijuana is a very colorful place. It is filled with shops, pushy storekeepers, bars, tequila, and donkeys painted to look like zebras. There are also churro stands on the sidewalk... and you know David and I had to hit that up before we left! We got churros for $1 today, and they were fantastic.
Since it was raining, we decided to go to el Museo de las Californicas. (It is a museum which talks about the history of Baja California- which is an area in Mexico). I still do not get that. Anyways, we took a taxi to the museum- but once we got there, we could not figure out how to get in. There were no big signs showing exactly where the museum was or which door we had to go into. We kept trying to get into one part of the museum and the docent would turn us away telling us to get tickets. The only problem was that we did not know where to buy the tickets! Finally I found someone who could speak English and he directed us to the ticket counter. We had to go out one door into another and then back out after getting tickets and back into the museum. Maybe that makes sense in Mexico, I do not know. Anyways, my four years of high school Spanish and time working at the Prime Table proved to be moderately useful. I became the translator and fumbled my way through what I know is incorrect Spanish grammar, some Spanish words, and some Spanglish ones. Anyways, we made it. At least I know enough Spanish to get me by, but it was totally uncomfortable. I think we all felt lost a lot of the time, I do not know if I could travel to another country that did not speak English or Spanish. It is pretty stressful, and now I kind of know how my Spanish-speaking patients feel.
Anyways, we toured the museum which was in English and Spanish. it was a different experience learning another country's history in this way, and I will admit that it was hard for me to take a lot from the museum. kraig and David did enjoy learning about the early native's practices regarding childrearing, which seem a little strange. They also liked making fun of the English translations. I tthought one of the best parts of the museum was the outside garden which had statues of some of the ancient people's gods. They were cool.
We left the museum and took the taxi back to Avenida Revolucion. There we ate at a restaurant which I do not think had a name. Anyways, it was the best burrito I have ever had. I also had a margarita in true Tijuana fashion. The restaurant owner even gave Kraig and I free (well at least I think they were free) tequila shots. David stuck to Coke (which was $2/can). After eating, we headed back through the shops. Since it was such a nasty day, it seemed we were the only tourists there. I stuck out like a sore thumb and could not hide how cold I was, so all of the shop owners tried to sell me a poncho. A couple of storeowners got me in their store. One guy was trying to sell me a poncho, but what would I do with it after we left Mexico? I haggled with him over the price without even trying to. At one point he offered it to me for $20, then $19.99, then he offered $19.99 and I give you a free plastic bag. Ha! it was hilarious. Before Kraig swooped in to save me, the owner offered it to me for $15. I thought I had done a good job until a shopkeeper down the street offered one to me for $10 right away without any haggling. Anyways, this is what I heard all day... "Blondie, blondie... chica, chica come here you look cold, come here and see my store, chica you buy this, i give you free tequila, cmon blondie.. your friends here they buy it for you." Ha! I was amused... I was also amused by the bar full of locals sitting elbow to elbow eating tacos. I guess they were amused by me too...
By that time, Kraig and David had enough of Tijuana. Kraig was so happy when David said, "not to be ungrateful but I am pretty much done with Mexico." On that note, we made our way out. People tried to sell us more on the way out. We did end up buying two blankets... made in Mexico, and mashine washable. Kraig was enjoying haggling with the woman but I messed it up, because I butt in and flashed my American money. oops.. well anyways we got a decent deal on two blankets. I wore mine to stay warm.
On the way out we walked through customs. I made it through with my passport, but then after the x-ray machine for your belonging the border patrol guy asked me a bunch of questions again. He was like, "where are you coming from?" and I was confused... because I thought it was pretty obvious where I had come from. So I said Tijuana, and then he asked me where my citizenship was.. but I had just shown the last guy my passport- so I think, this guy is wasting my time, but I indulged him and answered his questions. Then we were back in the US after being in Mexico for about 6 hours. We have been told that Mexico is much nicer the further south from Tijuana that you go. Maybe we will go back to visit those areas someday.
That evening we took David out for gelato at this cafe where they have biodegradeable ice cream cups. Gelato is pretty much the same as ice cream, but it is Italian and made with less milk fat than ice cream. Personally, I like it better than ice cream. We sat around and talked there for awhile and then went back to the apartment. It had been such a great weekend and we did not want it to end!
In the morning, I took david back to the airport.. hopefully he can come visit us again sometime. That's an invitation by the way.. and an invitation to anyone else who would like to come and visit! just let us know...
4 comments:
Next time--throw the border agents for a loop and embrace your Michigan citizenship. If they give you flak about that you point them right to the 14th Amendment.
Have you tried washing your blanket yet?
Biodegradable cups--they're like undigestable ice cream cones. (The ones made out of seaweed--not the waffle kind).
they have those?!?
Other than the rain, it sound like you all had a great time. You didn't buy anything else? And what is a churro?
churros = some fried tast cinnamon stick, kind of like what you can get at taco bell but better!
Post a Comment